Saturday, July 13, 2013

Traction battery charger close up

The charger was purchased from www.kellycontroller.com. It is an engineered product made for customers specs. I ordered this charger with the following specs that were needed for the order:

Mains voltage: 230vac
Output voltage: 87,6V (24 cells x 3,65V)
Battery capacity: 60Ah

This charger is ment for indoor use only so I cannot place it under the hood where it would be exposed to moisture and dirt. Therefore I decided to mount it in corolla's trunk.

The chargers manual does not say anything about its leakage current (current drawn from the battery while the charger is unpowered) so I measured it to be 1,8mA with 80v battery voltage. This is lower than what I expected so its well suited for onboard use.

The chargers manual does also not mention the chargers power factor which is claimed to be 0,96 according to www.kellycontroller.com. I will measure its power factor to find out if it really has an active PFC or not. Anyway I'm a bit dissapointed with the chargers documentation.

No comments: